Fellowship in Cornea and Ocular Surface
The Fellowship program at LJ Eye Institute has a duration of 18 months, including a posting as a consultant at the Institute for the last three months. The posting as a consultant is, however, subject to the fellow’s competence and performance in the previous 15 months, including the ability to independently diagnose and manage corneal diseases.
The objective of the fellowship program is to make ophthalmologists a comprehensive cornea specialist through intensive clinical evaluation, use of state-of-the-art investigative procedures, medical and surgical treatment of diseases, and also conduct clinically relevant research. The aim is also to provide India and the world with corneal surgeons having the expertise to treat numerous patients in need of cornea care.
The program will include supervised training, development of individual skills, independent decision-making and research in a focused environment of subspecialty care. The emphasis is on corneal disease, ocular surface disorders and refractive surgery, and its interplay with other subspecialties.
The Cornea and anterior segment fellow is expected to be well trained in the following areas.
- Corneal diseases – diagnosis, evaluation and management, pre-operative planning, surgery, post-operative care, management of complications and research. The main areas of focus would be on ocular surface, corneal infections, paediatric corneal diseases, refractive surgery, corneal ectasias and corneal transplantation.
- Corneal Imaging – instrument handling, interpretation and research involving various diagnostic tools used for the cornea and anterior segment
- Trauma – managing anterior segment trauma
- Microbiology and histopathology – specimen handling and interpretation
CORNEA AND OCULAR SURFACE LIST
- Glue application:
Cyano-acrylate tissue adhesive application
Corneal foreign body removal
Intra-cameral foreign body removal
Lamellar surgery (ALK/DSEK/DMEK)
- Ocular Surface:
Amniotic membrane grafting
Pterygium excision + conjunctival autograf
Limbal stem cell transplantation
Conjunctival Resection Superficial keratectomy
ACADEMIC AND RESEARCH
- Regular scheduled participations in fellow classes (Case presentations, journal clubs, theory discussion) and optometry classes.
- Two case reports/ small retrospective study and one large retrospective study/ prospective study are mandatory.
- Active participation in various CMEs/ workshops/ wet-labs organized at LJEI.